Thursday, April 01, 2010

A Portentous Soreness

I woke up this morning with a portentous soreness in my left inner ear. I took myself off to work thinking that the sooner I got some cold and flu fighting ingredients into me the better I'd be.

En route to change buses, I made a bee-line for a convenience store and bought something called breakfast juice that promised me 4 times the recommended daily intake of Vitamin C . Later I dropped into a chemist and bought some tablets which promised to shorten the life of my cold or flu or whatever it was that was rapidly spreading to give me a sore throat too.

Perhaps if I'd had the opportunity to rest today, I would've nipped this in the bud, but I had to teach and now I'm sniffling and sneezing and my teeth ache too. It's as if my body knew the Easter break was mere hours away and thought I wouldn't have enough to fill my days with.

Dear Body, I really do have quite enough to do already to fill in the next week or so. I have marking and reading and lecture planning and writing and, you know, general organisational stuff. Having to lie in bed and whimper between violent sneezes will really throw out my schedule. Yours, etc

No comments: