Saturday, May 05, 2007

Bright Lights, Buddha City

Strolling back through South Bank after dinner at Timmy's, where I ate the tastiest Ragout of Rabbit and a Quince and Apple Crumble, friends and I got distracted by the bright lights and colour of the Buddha Birthday celebrations that are being held over this long weekend.

I wish I could tell you more about what's going on in the pictures I snapped with my mobile...

Clearly a shrine of some sort. People approached the altar and poured a small scoop of water over statues of Buddha on the first table...

This 'pond' struck me as particularly ingenious given Brisbane's current lack of water. There is no water in this pond. Strings of fishing line were attached to the dragon's mouths to simulate water spouts.


I can't get enough of the red lanterns. They look quite spectacular, although clearly not in this photo. On the left you'll see this is a kind of gallery of various impressions of Buddha. The art work seemed more Indian in style.


This is the forecourt on the way out of South Bank. It was lined with market stalls selling all kinds of trinkets.

After we left South Bank we had to walk twice as far as usual to catch buses because of the Suncorp Stadium traffic management plan for events at the stadium. What kind of traffic management plan makes public transport more difficult and stressful, I don't know. But let's not think about that now. Even horrible football players and fans and misguided transport officials can benefit from thoughts of Loving Kindness this weekend...

Happy Birthday, Buddha.

No comments: