Saturday, March 01, 2008

Television: The Six Pack

I've been meaning to talk more about television, specifically television as it relates to my thesis.

It didn't escape my notice when I did that new year's post taking the first line from the first post of each month that there was no reference to the thesis whatsoever. Not that there has to be. In fact this is quite specifically not one of those dreary self-serving young academic careerist blogs, no, it's all about dreary domesticity and inappropriate expressions of angst here.



Still, since I often work at home, especially now, since I've joined the 21st century and connected to the internet via broadband, and succumbed to peer pressure and acquired a MacBook, you'd think domestic angst about the thesis would be a little more at the forefront of my outpourings. Well, I'd think it.

I'm seeking to rectify my lack of preoccupation with my thesis*.

As the title of this post suggests, I'm going to do a series of posts relating to television. In television terms it's likely to be more of a hybrid series-serial, since there will probably be an over-arching narrative of my angst about it all. And so any infrequent readers can drop by to read a single post without being left dissatisfied, each post will also probably be able to stand on its own.

I've chosen to go with the six-pack, because it seems to be the format of some good TV coming out of Australia at the moment: The Circuit, Remote Area Nurse, East West 101, to name some of my favourites. And as the folk at Televised Revolution say 'TV should be good'. Whether we mean the same thing by that will probably be discussed in at least one of these posts.

I decided not to go with the longer form cumulative narrative over multiple seasons that is the hallmark of 'quality' television as it is understood as an HBO brand, because, aside from the fact that I don't have the budget or the stamina, 'It's TV, it's not HBO'! **

Anyway, that's probably enough of an introduction. Hopefully you've got some idea of what the six pack will be about: television programs, a bit of a look at blogs about tv, and the thesis. I also hope to have reflect on other television related academic encounters such as teaching and a recap on the Charlotte Brunsdon Masterclass I attended, and somewhere in the weeks ahead Robert C. Allen will be visiting Brisbane too, so if there's anything to report, I'll do so.

Consider this post the first episode, and "stay tuned". "Don't touch that dial." This might not be HBO, but it could be "must see TV"! ***



* Did you notice the first sentence of this post? And the date too? That'll look impressive in the 2009 New Year's post, what?

** Heh, even though I'm a big fan of HBO dramas, I love this line, snapped by head writer Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) from 30 Rock.

*** I know, I know.

Click.

3 comments:

Tim said...

Sounds like some excellent reading to look forward to.

meli said...

cool!
and i think i'll join you there on the 'slow couch'. :)

Anonymous said...

"I've chosen to go with the six-pack, because it seems to be the format of some good TV coming out of Australia at the moment: The Circuit, Remote Area Nurse, East West 101, to name some of my favourites. And as the folk at Televised Revolution say 'TV should be good'."

Those jerks at Televised Revolution are wise beyond their years.

And man, RAN, The Circuit, and East West 101 - SBS really have lifted their game on local production, haven't they?